Friday, May 11

I did it!

pre-race feet

Yes, it's true.  I actually ran a half-marathon!  Not very quickly I admit, and it did involve a little walking, but I FINISHED!  In 2:40:41.  Average pace: 12:16.  I was a little disappointed in that -- was hoping to get under a 12 min/mile -- but oh well.  I FINISHED!  Considering my longest run in the last two years was six miles, I'm pretty proud of myself.  And did I mention... I FINISHED!

proof :)

I was bummed that Megan couldn't be there.  I know she was disappointed, but I'm proud of her for doing the right thing and skipping it so she could study.  Next time,  I'm going to have all my kids running with me!  Or maybe I should say running ahead of me.  :)  Either way... it's going to be so much fun!

Lindsay (McEnaney) and I had a great time.  We stayed at the Crowne Plaza in downtown Columbus... it was perfect.  Right across from the convention center (where the health and fitness expo was going on, and where race packet pick-up was), and about 4 blocks from the race start.  We "carb loaded" the night before (as all real runners do!) got a good night's sleep (after watching a thrilling episode of "Say Yes to the Dress: Bridesmaids").

This was at the starting line... Those people don't look like they're getting to run a half marathon, do they?

The race itself was a blast!  There were about 13,000 runners in all, and about 9000 of them were running the half.  We were in corral E (the slowest of the bunch), but it was perfect for me.  I actually passed some people!

snapping pics during a walk-break... is that wrong?

There were TONS of people all along the route cheering and there were lots of bands playing along the way.  It really was exciting.  Here's me crossing the finish line (couldn't even fake a smile!):

i was smiling inside :)

Lindsay finished about 20 minutes ahead of me, and it was a good thing we'd planned a place to meet afterward, because it was CRAZY!  The after party was ginormous.  We hobbled around for awhile and celebrated... visited the Yellow Tail Bubbly table a couple of times... ate a bagel... kept saying, "holy crap... we did it!"  It was awesome.

champagne celebration

There was also a Patron booth offering free shots, but we passed on those.  Eww.  Seriously?  Tequila shots after running 13.1?  I think not.

no thank you.

I did go home and take more than the recommended amount of Aleve.  I also iced my knees off and on for the rest of the day.  I really expected to not be able to walk when I woke up on Sunday, but I felt surprisingly good.  A little stiff and achy, but I kept moving all day (packing boxes and going up and down stairs at Mom & Dad's) which I think helped.  By Tuesday, I was pain free.  72 hour recovery time... not bad for an old lady!

Now I'm hooked.  13.1?  Pshaw.  Bring on the full!!  I took this week off, but next week the real training begins.  I've got a training plan all laid out, and I'm kicking Crazy Sexy into full gear.  Did I mention I subscribed to Runner's World magazine?  And I've picked out a bunch of 5Ks to do between now and October.  I'm telling you... it's addicting.  I've always said that I have no desire to run a marathon.  Now I don't just have the desire... I'm determined.

You know, it's funny... I used to hate running... now I love it.  And I have to say, I give God the glory for all of this.  I really think running is a blessing and I praise and thank Him for the ability and the desire to do it.  And for the ability to recover from it.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment